Just a musing. And amusing. You be the judge.
Returned yesterday from a short trip to London, primarily for business. And by business, I mean a standardized test. The testing itself was a great experience, believe it or not. It took place in a picturesque, Hogwartsian building for Ironmongers, which I believe means "those who mong iron." My testing room had an ornate vaulted ceiling adorned with plaster cherub faces, wood-paneled walls covered with coats of arms, and a delightful elderly British lady proctoring the exam.
Note for the world: Every standardized test should be proctored by an elderly British woman with a sense of humour. Makes for a wonderful testing experience.
Though the test was my primary purpose for my London trip, it was not the highlight. That honour (like the European spellings?) goes to the French/English/American family I stayed with. They were great - loads of fun, grand conversation (though I couldn't understand some of it), and warmhearted hospitality. Great adventure.
On Friday evening I got to see Winter's Bone, a movie set in southwest Missouri of all places. I hadn't heard of it, but those who were familiar with it assured me it was good, and were shocked that I was unaware of this movie, what with its Missouri focus. It was quite good. It depicted a scene of poverty that seems very possible in the Ozarks. Broken families, meth labs, a search for a father who missed his court date, a 17 year old girl responsible for her two younger siblings and her mentally sick mother, and even a (hardly) veiled reference to Truman State.
The movie was great, but here's what was on my mind following it. I watched this movie in London, presumably surrounded by Londoners. How many of them do you think were familiar with Missouri? This may be the only depiction they get. Insert one Missouri resident into this audience, familiar with some of Missouri but now presented with an untraditional look at poverty and familial duty. It wasn't the Missouri with which I'm familiar, but it was no less authentic. Except for the part with the chainsaw...but I won't ruin that part for you. Good broadening of horizons, funny scenario. Who would've thunk?
Now that my test is complete, I have large chunks of free time scattered throughout my week. Things that may fill this time:
-Busking practice; some lads and I have high hopes for music-ing on the streets of Dublin.
-Traveling; my frugality threatens to hold me back from visiting continental Europe. This will change.
-More debating! Last week's speech on Turkey joining the EU went well, loads of fun. This week's speech has me arguing in favor of legalising prostitution. Subtle shift, it is not.
-Furthering my goal of becoming a Scandinavian techno sensation. This one is still in the works.
Be sure to check out my pictures on Facebook. Beautiful scenes from the Cliffs of Moher, Doolin, and more.
Oh yeah, my Elementary Irish classes are going well. Hopefully I'll be able to write a song in Irish by the end of the semester...
Slan,
Michael
Monday, October 11, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

More of this
ReplyDelete